Friday, April 15, 2011

Stereotypes



It took me about five days to create this piece with the medium of Prismacolor; the dimensions of this piece are 12 inches by 12 inches. I am very happy with this composition because of the way I demonstrated the style of Audrey Flack and because of the color choices. The way I made the perfume bottles look like glass and the color harmony are my favorite things about this composition. Especially the purple accent line because it allows the audience to see that perfume bottle in the center is infact glass and it is also the opposite of orange on the color wheel so they naturally go together. I also like how the pearls and the perfume bottle on the left turned out. All in all I am very proud of all of the elements of this piece. I struggled with the mirror on the right of the compostion because the orange square is so loud that it took away from the rest of the compostion and I had issues trying to make it stand out less. The flower in the center of the mirror was took a lot of time because of the shading and the details were small. I was also worried about the advertisement in the background that says "Meet me in Paris". I did not want to draw in all of the details because I was afraid it would take away from the rest of the picture so we decided to leave it alone. I hope y'all like it and that it doesn't sound like I'm just talking about how great it is. Now the title, I decided to call this "Stereotypes" because all of these things are considered to be owned by women: a mirror with a flower on it, perfume and pearls. And I guess the title makes you think about what I'm trying to say about stereotypes, and that is don't define other people by their possesions even if it's as simple as a perfume bottle.

12 comments:

  1. I love this piece. You did a really great job with making the glass look realistic and soft. I also like the color choices and the purple line helps with space and pulls the whole thing together. good job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Out of all of the pieces for the Audrey Flack style, I think that this one captures it best. This is something that I can see her drawing herself, but it is also representing you in it. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Rebecca and Natasha. Rebecca, I don't think I would have been able to portray the glass bottles as well with out seeing yours. Your picture really helped me out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the detail and the reflection on the pefume bottle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this peice, it really reminds me of you, and it also has the essence of the Audrey Flack style. It is so real looking, it really captures our attention. Congradulations on the Awards Rebecca ;))))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the awards! I like this piece a lot. the lighting through the glass is great. The purple band i like also

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well of course it is amazing by all the complements you have received. My only question to you would be about the note to the right. It just stops and goes black, is that because it is folding or what? just curious to know why that is like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awsome piece I love how life like you made it look. It just makes me want to reach out and touch it. It's so real looking. Great Job. And CONGRULATIONS on you winning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Thanks everyone! Well Santiago I didn't give the note much detail because I didn't want to take away from the perfume bottles and the mirror. So there's no competion among the elements. Thanks everyone, this really makes me happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love the perfume bottle on the left, it seems so realistic. Just wondering though, I don't really understand how these are all stereotypes.

    ReplyDelete