Saturday, April 2, 2011

Babushka


This is good. You know what that is? Good. This painting is 12 inches by 18 inches and we were following the style of Derek Gores. The criteria was to create a portrait, animal or an object through collage. I chose make a collage of the actress that plays Anna Karenina from the novel Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. I did so because the novel is based on 1870s Russia, therefore she reflects traditional style which corresponds with my theme. I feel that the best part about my painting is the black fur and the skin tones of the face. The black fur is interesting because it features text which not only functions as snow particles but it also reflects the style of Derek Gores. Also the texture of the fur is interesting, even though it was time consuming I like how it turned out. It turned out well because the texture of it is seen from far away. The skin tones are also a good part of my collage I did not just take large sections of skin from magazines, I complied a number of different sections of skin tones to create it. So the black fur and the skin tones make this collage look original. I struggled with making the features of the face, such as matching the eyes, or creating shadow with the nose. All in all this collage was a success and I am proud to call it mine. I called it "Babushka" because it means Grandmother in Russian, and my grandmother's name is also so Anna and I saw it fit.

2 comments:

  1. Do check out Tolstoy's essays on What Is Art. Very philosophical and helps us to define what is and is not art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hard work and time has for sure shown in this piece. A for sure congratulations is in order for the award and the piece in general. Not only is it some random women but someone from refernece that makes the connection even more meaning full.

    ReplyDelete