Saturday, April 2, 2011

A Depiction of Spike


The criteria of this project was to create a portrait and I did not want to do a self portrait because I thought that would not be original so I chose my dog instead. This artwork was done in about five days and for the first two days I focused on the image transfer. The style of image transfer I chose was the one where the liquid text is layered about five times and dried after each layer. After the five layers, the photo is soaked in water and then the paper is peeled off and ready to be placed on the paper intended to be painted on. Before I transferred the image I painted the background a light blue with dark blue spotting to emulate the texture of dog fur but that background is not apparent because of the orange lines of movement. I feel that I spent the most time on the image transfer because when I first did the process either I did not soak it long enough or I did not let the layers dry fully. The dimensions are 8.5 inches by 11 inches, and my material was the acrylic. In this painting I struggled with connecting to my painting. We were supposed to be following the style of Peter Max and that style of painting is triggered by emotion and just going with the flow. That style of painting is hard for me because I prefer structured planning and I did not know how to just paint my emotions because I did not feel any. If I did, I'm not sure what it was. So that's why this is not one of my better painting but it did teach me to loosen up and color harmony. I also struggled with the lines of motion. I didn't see the purpose so this is the best that I could come up with. I probably wont do this style of painting ever again because it was so frustrating, or at least not for a long time.

1 comment:

  1. Good reflection. It is also interesting how you were influenced by George Rodrigue's Blue Dog series.

    ReplyDelete